Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Go!Animate Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone! This would be a post about the animatic for the film… BUT my scanner and my computer have decided that they want to be fussy and don’t want to talk to one another here lately. So I decided to take a little break from the film for the holidays and work on getting those two back together again (that would be the Christmas miracle...  pray that I don't need a new scanner!). I did want to take the opportunity to talk about Go!Animate, the website that I’ve been using to create the little cartoons I’ve been making with my nephews.


Go!Animate is a website where, as their tagline reads, “anyone can animate”. I discovered this site after Go!Animate followed me on Twitter. They have created a unique platform where you can create a simple Flash cartoon with pre-animated characters and preloaded backgrounds, sounds and special effects, even camera moves. They have licensed characters from various properties including Street Fighter, Star Trek and even Akon (the rapper!) and they also have a custom character creator. They have a very clean and simple interface for their animator program. You drag and drop your elements onto the “Stage” and adjust the length of time your elements appear. You add another Scene to make a change. You can import your own sound and images. You can also sync sound and music to the elements. The site has a community of GoAnimators that regularly chat on the forums and there is a Facebook Chat like feature so you can instant message other GoAnimators. You can even easily share your creations on the various social media portals.


At first glance, a professional would call it “cheating” or “lazy”(and they have, I asked.) The program gives you a very small level of control and the controls you do have are imprecise and clumsy, especially to sync your sounds and music. The pre-animated characters have limits on what they can do, thus limiting what you can do and the story (if any) you can tell. You need Firefox or Google Chrome to run the site without it crashing or locking up. If you have ever felt that you had to fight Flash to get the results you want, you feel that in spades here. Granted, this is a new site and they are still working out the bugs. So, why would someone like me even bother with a website like this? Several reasons.


This is the perfect platform to teach kids how to animate and I saw a tweet where Go!Animate is creating a special educational version. I’ve been using it to teach my nephew Jamari about some of the basics of animation. Yes, the characters are pre-animated… but to create something of quality you still need the basics of story, staging, pacing, etc. Jamari is seeing these basics and understanding them with this platform because he can see the results instantly and apply them himself to his own cartoons. Once he learns to draw and is ready to take intro to animation courses or learn Flash or ToonBoom or even Maya, he will already know how to compose his shots and tell a story visually. His eyes widened when I explained why you use an establishing shot and why and when you change a scene. I’m so proud.


Go!Animate now has the option to download your films so you can host them wherever. This can now be a very quick and elegant tool to create animated content for YouTube or Hulu and potentially have a solid animated series, as long as the story is there. Hey, look at South Park, its all about story. Its way faster than animating in Flash so you can be razor sharp with topical humor and you can crank out tons of episodes in a very short period of time. You just have to pay a small fee to download the toon.


Also, its FUN! I love animation and I love animating, so this is almost like playing with a toy for me. Yes, its not very sophisticated and you feel like you’re fighting the program, but that’s part of the challenge. Creating something of quality here is difficult and limiting so when you get that scene to read the right way and everything is timed right and acts right, its awesome! They also recently made me a beta tester so now I can add my own pre-animated characters. I’ll be able to work with Jamari on animating elements in Flash which will be even more fun.


But here is the latest cartoon from Jamari and Bralyn, their Christmas Special. We created it to enter Go!Animate’s Jingle Bell Blowout contest to win a Nintendo DSi! I think they’ve got a real shot to win this thing even though there are some good entries there. I’m really hoping that they don’t get beaten by one of the more lude entries that they can’t watch.







And because it has become a family thing for me, I chose Go!Animate to create my Christmas card this year. Everyone else is making those JibJab dancing elves cards, I wanted to be different. I went and found a Christmas song with a Creative Commons license (a concept the GoAnimators haven’t grasped yet… pray for them) and made a little music video card. Check it out!





Merry Christmas again to everyone and I’ll leave you with this link – Larry Lauria’s Christmas Animation Festival

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lamont,

    How did I miss your blog and your posts about us?! Thanks a lot for the review and the frank feedback. I think you are spot on regarding our platform. We're not trying to offer the same thing as Flash does. We want to offer a tool that anyone can use to have fun around animation and storytelling.

    Many users from the platform (including myself actually) have been getting into Flash after first using GoAnimate. The platform we feel can actually help promote animation and get even more people interested in the craft. Hopefully we can grow the features so that GoAnimate is also an interesting place for professional animators to hang out as well.

    All the best with the film!

    ReplyDelete