Monday, February 1, 2010

A Pre-Animated Experiment and A Quick Animatic Update

I apologize for the lack of blog posts last month!  I promise I’m still here!  Here’s a quick post to let you know what I’ve been up to.

I’ve recently been animating a pre-animated character for the GoAnimate.com Studio.  I animated a dragon!  It’s actually a neat little setup – You animate different actions for your character which turn into options for users to manipulate.  For the dragon, it can walk, fly, throw fire and more, all selectable from a drop-down menu in the Studio.  I created it with the GoAnimate user in mind, including separating anticipation animation, moving holds and walk / flight cycles so the user can custom fit it into the timing of their choice and lining up registration between these animations for smooth transitions.

Why am I focusing so much on GoAnimate here lately?  Well, I think it has potential far beyond being a toy or an educational tool.  I’m planning a little social media experiment with the dragon, possibly in concert with my Twitter and I also talked with the GoAnimate staff about making user uploaded pre-animated characters available for purchase (source of income for freelancers!)

I created a quick demo for the dragon below.  I even whipped up a British sounding android butler to introduce it.  I thought it was fitting for my first character… in my Intro to Animation class at SCAD, my first animation assignment was a flipbook where I had to start and finish with a circle.  I turned the circle into an egg and a dragon hatched out.  That dragon then flew up into a sun (or moon) and then that became the original circle.  I included a reference to that flipbook in the demo animation.


GoAnimate.com: Sneak Peek at Chaostoon's Dragon by Chaostoon

Like it? Create your own at GoAnimate.com. It's free and fun!


As far as Jamari Animated, I finally feel confident on the story and I’m working on finishing up the animatic.  Animation should begin this month sometime.  I’ll keep you informed, I promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment