Sunday, March 7, 2010

Storyboarding, a Successful Contest and Some Old (but cool!) News

Hello everyone!  Sorry for the long wait for the update.  I know you have been wondering what in the heck have I been doing!  Well, here’s the deal:

If you’ve been following my Twitter, you know that I’ve recently admitted a dirty little secret – I have no formal storyboarding training.  When it was time for me to take the class at SCAD, they weren’t offering the course that quarter, so I had to substitute it with another class.  Not that learning about comic strips with visiting artist Robb Armstrong wasn’t cool… but its not helping me now.

I did storyboard this thing out…  the next step is to take the storyboards and the audio from the actors and create a little movie called an animatic.  You do this to get an idea of how your movie is gonna look.  Well, I did that, and it’s not working for me…  not the whole thing anyway.  My friend Brian said he didn’t like the timing, so that’s what I thought the problem was.  So, I went back and reworked the timing over and over…  and it still didn’t work for me.  So I went back to my storyboards… and slowly remembered that I really don’t know enough of what I’m doing to fix what I’m feeling is wrong.  So, I did a Google search to see what I could learn online about storyboarding... and I found Karen Lloyd.

On her blog, she has a short series of posts where she critiques the storyboards of Aidan Casserly.  I learned SO MUCH from that.  My storyboards were similar to his in that they were more like comics than storyboards (thanks Robb).  She really showed me what I was doing wrong by proxy.  She also has a handy little series of posts about shots and WHY to use them.  AAAH, just what I needed!  So, I reached out to her on Twitter.  Hopefully, she’ll have the time to help me when she’s not as busy on Kid vs. Kat…  and that’s fine!  I’m having a BLAST digging back into my boards and they’re WORKING!  Between the knowledge from Tuck and Karen...  I think I'm gonna be alright.  -sigh of relief-

Here’s some of the thumbnails from going back to the storyboards and revising.  It will require some light re-recording from my actors, but I can probably do that in post-production, no problem.





Why am I thumbnailing on legal pads?  Well, there's something soothing about doodling on lined paper.  Reminds me of my childhood and doodling in class...  plus, they're just thumbnails.

If you are a storyboarder or indie animator, please check out Karen’s blog here.  It is SO worth it.


So, I will update you all on the story as it goes.  I’m working on it, Joe, I’m working on it…

Other updates: My first social media contest went GREAT!  I threw a contest for whoever used my pre-animated dragon and got the most views with it.  The winner was Juan Ramirez of Madrid, Spain.  You can see his winning entry and the other entrants here.  http://bit.ly/dragonchaos

Also, I forgot to mention in previous posts…  I was named a “Filmmaker to Watch in 2010” by Hollywood Shorts!  Yay!  Check out their article in LAist magazine about their African-American Filmmakers Celebration.  They said they were saving a spot for me next year!  OMG!

http://laist.com/2010/02/26/african_american_filmmakers_celebra.php

Looking forward to the OSCARS tonight!  C’mon Secret of Kells and Logorama!  I’m rooting for ya!

1 comment:

  1. Wow congrats for being “Filmmaker to Watch in 2010” and also interesting blog entry.

    ReplyDelete